As the weather warms up and people begin to spend more time outdoors, taking time to make sure your yard is nice and presentable is a worthy way to spend a weekend. After you've gotten the flowers planted and hedges trimmed, it's time to add some finishing touches in the form of sand and gravel.
Not sure where to begin? Here are some suggestions for using sand and gravel to make your yard and home look the best that it can be.
Uses for gravel:
- Using gravel is a quick way to spice up any driveway. For a dirt driveway, gravel can make it neater and more uniform by filling in any holes and smoothing everything out. Paved driveways can also be spiced up by adding gravel around the border of the driveway, giving it a more designed look.
- Gravel is also a great way to accent a garden and give it a finished look. Backyard barbeques and fire pits look nice with a layer of gravel around the bottom of the pit.
- Gravel can also be used to establish nature trails, walkways, playgrounds and even line the bottom of aquariums.
Uses for sand:
- Outdoor Oasis: Having a fire pit in the backyard is a great way to turn your backyard into an area where all your family and friends will want to spend their time after-hours. Grass on the floor is ok but using sand will add a beach vibe to any backyard, even if you are many miles away from the coast. Add a "no shoes allowed" policy and everyone will be sure to get in the mood.
- Households with small children may find it a great idea to use sand as a base for the bottom of a playground as it makes for a soft landing. 12 inches of sand is ideal.
- Sand also has practical uses around the house, such as being used to clean up an oil spill on the driveway. Simply sprinkle it on and let it absorb the oil and then sweep it away.
- Keeping a bucket of sand is also a good idea for those who have frequent backyard barbeques because grease fires can be quickly extinguished by dumping a bucket of sand on top.
As you can see, there are many potential uses for sand and gravel (available from companies like Floyd Preston Limited) around your entire home. Open yourself up to creativity and you may be surprised with how many unique uses that you'll come up with.